Tips In Choosing The Best Dog Breeders
Dog breeders could be found anywhere. However, buying the best-looking puppy in the pet store does not necessarily guarantee that you bought a pet with a top breed.
What are the different types of breeders? Which of them provide the best dog breeds?
1) Look for reputable breeders. Well known breeders know specific details about their specialized breed. They examine genetic diseases that are known to have physical and emotional impact on that breed, perform veterinary maintenance and sustain breeding records.
A breeder of good reputation will provide you with both the good and bad points about the breed you prefer. They offer useful advice and assistance to new dog owners.
You could spot a reputable breeder when they grant quality for the dogs they personally own. They would let you experience the kind of care they give the dogs and allow you to see where the dogs live.
Most outstanding breeders are not out to make money. They provide a written health guarantee with all the dogs they sell.
Majority of the reputable dog breeders belong to local or national breed organizations and clubs.
2) Avoid backyard breeders, puppy mills and pet shops.
* Backyard Breeders. These people have limited education about the breed standards. Commonly, backyard breeders do not maintain a regular check-up on the dog’s diseases and genetic makeup. Usually, these people breed to make money and allows the dogs to leave without screening the present home of the dog.
* Puppy Mills. This is a term commonly used to describe a business that produces large quantities of dogs. Majority of the puppies born and trained in puppy mills do not usually follow a regular veterinary care and appropriate feeding they need. Puppy mills do not sell directly to the public. They only allow sale to pet shops, brokers and dog auctions.
There is no generic breed testing executed in puppy mills. The dogs born here have not been adequately socialized and trained. Most of the puppies are sold in large numbers at the age of 3 to 4 weeks that could later give the dogs emotional and health problems.
* Pet shops. Many pet shops grant guarantees. However, these guarantees last for only a year while majority of genetic diseases found in dogs materialize when the animal is over a year old. Most pet shops buy their dogs from puppy mills at a very young age for a cheap price. Young puppies that are not suitably socialized could cause behavior problems and poor health.
Finding the best dog breeder means your pet could last a longer life. Find a reputable breeder now and spare yourself from possible heartache.