Each year, approximately four million dogs are up for adoption at animal shelters and breed rescues across the country. Sadly, only two million of these dogs ever find homes.
Actress Minnie Driver and Pedigree Food for Dogs are giving millions of homeless dogs new “leashes” on life, through the second annual Pedigree Adoption Drive. The national awareness and fundraising campaign rallies and rewards dog lovers nationwide who come to the rescue of the millions of shelter dogs waiting to find good homes.
As a dog owner and lover, dog adoption is a cause close to Driver’s heart. “There’s nothing more rewarding than coming home from a long day to the unconditional love of my dog, Bubba,” said Driver. “Dogs from shelters and breed rescue organizations make wonderful, loving pets and I would encourage anyone contemplating getting a dog not to overlook their local pet rescue organizations.”
As part of the adoption drive, Driver and Pedigree hope to encourage adoptions and engage dog lovers in this important cause in these simple ways:
• Support Fundraising Efforts-Pedigree is committed to donating up to $1 million of all 2006 product sales to support qualified animal shelters and breed rescue organizations across the country.
• Wear Dog Tags-To show support of this cause, “Dogs rule” fashion dog tags are available for free via a mail-in offer; Pedigree will make a $1 donation for every dog tag redeemed. Plus, celebrities will personalize one-of-a-kind dog tags for auction on eBay from March 6 to 16, 2006.
• Learn About All Things Canine-Educational information on what to expect when adopting a dog is available via a downloadable “Adoption Guide” at pedigree.com.
“As the brand that loves dogs, we’re proud to shine a spotlight on the dog adoption crisis and all those homeless dogs that deserve love in their lives,” said Rob Leibowitz, marketing director, Dog Portfolio, Masterfoods USA, the makers of Pedigree. “Any dog lover knows that it doesn’t matter where dogs come from-they’ll love you just the same.”
Dog Adoption Drive
There is no better time than now to bring home a source of unconditional love and adopt a canine companion. “Pedigree is not just about dog food; our love of dogs is the driving force behind all that we do,” added Leibowitz.
Make a Fashion Statement
Specially designed dog tags, emblazoned with personal causes and rally calls, are the hottest fashion accessories to grace the necks of Hollywood starlets and fashionistas alike. As a way to show support for homeless dogs, stylish Pedigree fashion dog tags can be obtained for free through a mail-in offer. Complete details can be found at www.pedigree.com.
In addition, Driver and other celebrities including Molly Sims and Nicollette Sheridan are lending a hand to the cause by personalizing one-of-a-kind fashion dog tags that will be auctioned on eBay for charity. All proceeds from the auction will benefit the American Humane Association.
Responsible Pet Ownership
It’s important to note that adopting a pet is a very important decision that should not be taken lightly. Caring for a pet is a big responsibility, but most dog lovers will tell you that adding a canine to your family will bring a great deal of joy and happiness.
To help educate potential dog owners, www.pedigree.com offers a special dog adoption microsite providing a wealth of information all about dogs, from how the adoption process works to training and everyday care and nutrition. A downloadable “Adoption Guide” is a resource for those considering adoption and offers tips and checklists that are handy for first-time animal shelter visits, vet trips and even shopping.
More “Paws” for Consideration
Need more motivation to adopt a homeless dog? Consider these results from a recent Pedigree-sponsored survey of dog owners:
• 86.3 percent say their dog makes them feel better about themselves-both emotionally and physically.
• 64.8 percent say their dog is a good source of unconditional love.
• 60 percent consider their dog part of the family, showcasing their pets in family portraits and even on holiday cards.
• 77.7 percent believe that adopting from a shelter is the right thing to do.
Pedigree Brand products are available at grocery, pet specialty and mass merchandise outlets nationwide.